Sunday, November 3, 2013

More Candy=More Success?


With halloween being this past week, I watched as dozens of children bombarded my front door in hopes of some candy. Despite the fact that the weather that night was terrible, with constant downpours of rain, trick-or-treaters ran from house to house collecting their candy and laughing. Although I knew that this was me just a few years back, I wondered what it was that made this youngsters feel the need to go "trick-or-treating." I mean with the amount of candy they collect wouldn't cost more then ten dollars in its equivalent at Walgreens. What is it then, that makes these kids want to go get their candy themselves, in the pouring rain, then just go out and buy some. I think the answer to this question reflects an important American value. The value that reward is better when you earned it, and that having a good work ethic will get you far.
According to Forbes magazine, America ranks in the top 10 for countries with most socio-economic mobility. This means that America, compared to the rest of the world, has an enormous possibility for people who are born into poor circumstances, to succeed and become wealthy. I believe that this is because of the work ethic that is taught to us through our culture. The work ethic that we want to earn something by working. Like kids want to eat the candy that they earned.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about trick-or-treating this way, but I agree with your viewpoint. At the end of the night, children compare how many pieces and what kind of candy they got with their friends. The act of going to each house and getting one piece of candy gives a feeling of satisfaction, like "I worked hard for this." Even when comparing piles, children trade candies like adults making important decisions in the business world. Our American work ethic becomes rooted in us even when we're young.

    ReplyDelete