Monday, March 24, 2014

More Than Just Another Instagrammer?

For the past couple of years people around the world have been sharing photos through the trending app "Instagram". While the app's popularity may not be new news, what is is the popularity that some of its users have gained. One in particular that caught my attention was the "Insta-Gramma". 
As I read more, I learned that the "Insta-Gramma" is an account under the name of grandmabetty33, an 80 year old women from southern Indiana. Grandma Betty's great-grandson set her up an account to document her day to day adventures in the last part of her life. See Grandma Betty has terminal cancer, so her time is running short. It now occurred to me that the popularity of her page came from something more than just an old women taking funny selfies, it came from people's interest in seeing someone laugh their way through a terrible predicament.  
I think that people enjoy seeing other people laugh their way through these situations, because put in these situations themselves, most would hope that they could have such a good demeanor. I know that Americans are known to be resilliant, through many situations, we are the ones who can endure and get through. So, Is the "Insta-Gramma" more than just a funny old women? To me, she is a symbol of American's ability to get through hard times with a smile. The way we have gotten through hurricane recoveries, economic struggles, and even terrorism attacks.  

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing woman!! I agree, grandmabetty33 is much more than the average instagrammer. I also agree that this woman is extraordinary because of her positive outlook on life, even when it is near its end. I hope I can be as brave and happy as grandmabetty33 when I am older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Josh. I think that social media has become a place for people to vent. For example, some of the Instagram users that I follow have been occasionally posting plan black pictures and venting about their problems in the caption. Sometimes they vent about happy things and sometimes they vent about not so happy things. These users have extrodinary effects on their followers and I think it is great that grandmabetty33 can positively influence her followers!

    ReplyDelete