Friday, September 27, 2013

Got to Have it?


       Everyone around me has been talking about the newly released iPhone and how they can get their hands on it. The ones who lucky enough to already own the device are idolized, and those who don't yet have it seem to be making plans for when they will be able to get hold of the hot new technology. According to apple.com, the sales of the device within the first weekend topped 9 million and sales numbers continue to rise.
  Although I will admit, I envy my friends who have the new phone already, I wonder what it is that makes us want this phone so much. Is it really the cool new features? Because as far as I can see, the only features that the new iPhone has that are not available for download on earlier apple devices, are the state of the art fingerprint scanner, and the newly improved camera. So then why does this new device make us so crazed. Personally I think it is because of the title that each iPhone has. The title at the time of the release that tells us that this is what society is going to envy. The title that says if you are among the first ones to own this device, you will be envied and idolized. I still remember the feeling I got of superiority when I got the iPhone 5 the day it came out. Everyone wanted to hold my sleek new gadget, and when my phone would die at a friends house and they would offer me a charger, I boast in my reply that I could not use their old iPhone 4 charger, because the new iPhone came with a brand new type of charger. Now almost a year of that iPhone's arrival, no one asks if they can see my phone, because this iPhone isn't one that is cool anymore, it is the iPhone 5s.
  The unappeasable desire to always have the newest gadget tells us something about our society. It tells us that no matter what we have, we can always have better. No matter what we say, we can always say better. No matter what we do, we can always do better. It seems to me that there is an ongoing unrest imbedded within us that we cannot control.
  Although it sounds bad, I think that this unrest is just what keeps us as a society on our toes, keeps every fall exciting to see what new technology comes out, and gives us something to always work for. If the need to always have the best is imbedded in who we are, the need for always doing our best must be too. A trait that helps us as a society move forward, and helps us be able to invent new things, such as iPhones. So maybe the desire that makes us want the new phone, comes from the desire to get the new phone.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that the American society is an extremely materialistic one, but I disagree with your claim that when we "want the new phone, we make a new phone". Quite frankly, Apple makes new iPhones every year because they are aware of the addiction that people have, the strange condition of always wanting the "best" (aka the most recent) product, even if it is no different from what we have. In a way, I feel as if they are taking advantage of this condition, obviously with the primary goal of making money. It seems a little ridiculous to say that if Americans want something, they will go out and make it. A very small percent of our society actually does this, while the rest of us (as consumers) just sit around and wait for someone else to do the work.

    ReplyDelete