Friday, December 6, 2013

Baby's Future?


Yesterday I saw an interesting a documentary on America's "failed" drug war called The House I Live In. It discusses how drugs are represented in our society, and how race and class play a role in arrests for the War on Drugs. One thing that stuck out to me was something Harvard professor William Julius Wilson said. He claimed noticing a sad reality in our country, that if one were to walk through the halls of a hospital and pass by new born babies, one could determine each baby's future just by knowing their race and class.
According to American ideals, we can be as successful as we want to be. We can move up in social class with enough hard work and determination, right? Well, not according to Wilson's claim. He seems to believe that it is actually very hard for a poor minority baby to rise above the violence and lack of education, to succeed in the same way as say a wealthy white baby. Unfortunately, it seems that when I thought about it further, Wilson's claim seemed to be true. When we hear about a poor African American, who grew up in a low income neighborhood, rising above it and becoming successful, we think it to be an amazing feat. "Wow! He was a really remarkable person!" Or, "wow! Oprah is an inspiration for overcoming such a difficult situation."
While I believe that it is important to recognize these accomplishments, should we really be that surprised that this kind of thing can happen? Don't American ideals tell us that no matter where we start, we can end up anywhere? So why are these accomplishments so rare.
And although while walking past hundreds of babies at a hospital you may see the next Oprah, will the other babies all just become another high school drop out or an imprisoned drug dealer?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cannot predict the outcome of a person's life based on their race. That's absurd. I just re-watched the bit of the film where Wilson said: "You should not be able to enter a hospital ward --an inner city hospital-- of new born babies and predict with near certainty on the basis of their class, background, and race, where these kids -- where these healthy newborn babies are going to end up in life." So I suppose he is saying that we do this, and it should not be that way. And I agree that you shouldn't...but I don't think you can anyway, so I don't know where he's getting that from. I really don't think we do what he is apparently saying we do. This is essentially equality of opportunity vs. equality of results. I believe in equality of opportunity, otherwise, in the latter, I think if everything is handed to you, so as everyone will always have the same results, that makes for a lazy society. Everyone legally, has the same opportunities and access to make things happen for themselves. It could take more effort for one than another, but that's life I suppose.
    Oprah, like you said, is just one example of one who was not born into an ideal situation who made something of herself despite that. And that can happen with someone of any race. It is not a black only thing. Which, I suppose is what you're saying when you ask why it is such a surprise. Simply because it's a rarity, I guess. I don't really have an educated answer for that! :(
    I really really just do not believe that this happens...everyone is given the same tools. It is just how you use them.

    ReplyDelete