Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Don't Guys Like Gifts Too?!?

       As I entered my carpool this morning, I sat on the leather seats and made small talk with my fellow riders. The conversation was pretty limited, as it was 6:45am, but we seemed to discuss something that actually really made me think. One of the boys in the carpool made a joke about how the two girls were both carrying festively wrapped gifts with them and the two boys weren't. With Christmas approaching it seems to me that I couldn't even walk by a group I was involved with without them begging me to join their holiday gift exchange or secret santa of some sort, my fellow female rider said she couldn't agree more.  But apparently, as I was informed by the jealous boys in the car this morning, this wasn't the case with the male population. Neither of them had been invited into a gift exchange, and as I complained about my fear of having my secret santa identity revealed, the boys noted that they had never had such a worry, as they had NEVER participated in something like that. 
       This discussion really made me think about gender roles in our society, especially around the holidays. It hit me that it was so normal for girls to be involved in various gift exchanges, secret santas, cookie exchanges etc. While the very idea of adolescent boys sitting around a fire, listing to Taylor Swift's Christmas album, and exchanging homemade cookies was enough to make anyone laugh. Why was that I wondered? As I was informed by my male carpool-mates, "guys like presents too!" So then what is it that makes it so normal for girls to be doing such a thing and not guys?
       Maybe it dates back to a time where women were in the kitchen, or cleaning the home while the men went out and hunted. But now-a-days women are running corporate positions, owning companies, and holding high ranking medical positions. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2011 women accounted for 47% of all employment. So it seems to me that although women are no longer the homemakers that they once were, they still carry the stigma that they are the ones who are interested in homely things. Or maybe it is socially unacceptable from a male's perspective to want to bake cookies and exchange gifts? 
       Either way it is evident that there is a gender divide in such activities. And while I am surely not complaining about all the new nail-polish, Starbucks gift cards, and peppermint bark I have received from my classmates this past week, I do think it is worth a critical look, for as I have been told, "guys like presents too!" 

1 comment:

  1. Nice critical thinking, Carolyn! Another reason that girls tend to be more into gift exchanges is the advertisements that are directed at women. Companies are constantly telling women they need to get better skin or lose more weight or dress more fashionably. After seeing thousands of these advertisements, women start to believe that they need lots of material things to keep them looking their best. Not only do women want material gifts for themselves, but they also want to please other women by giving them gifts too. A gift exchange definitely ensures that one would receive even more presents and things that are advertised for women. Although this has nothing to do with cookie exchanges, I think it might be a reason for women's obsession with secret santas.

    ReplyDelete